New template


Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mama gave a shot...

Good times tonight:) My mom has been very worried for the past couple days about giving me my trigger shot, but she finally bucked up tonight after some reassurance from a nurse friend that should could do it. So, there I was, bent over the bathroom sink, my mom is standing behind me with the shot ready to go, and our nurse friend, Babs, saying "You can do it!!"

I've never been one afraid of shots. I take it like man. Seriously. No biggie! And I'm glad, because I feel for people going through infertility and just don't do shots. If you're about to take this journey and are afraid of shots, here's a word of advice-just get used to it! They don't hurt at all even though some of the needles are fairly long (picture to come). Anyway, Babs told mom to hold the shot like a dart and just push it in. After a minute of her saying "I can't do it..I just don't think I can do it.." etc. she finally DID it! If I've ever been afraid of anything "shot" related, it was her saying all that. However, once she did it, it was done in 10 seconds and that was that:)

Now we wait 36 hours until Tuesday morning at 9am. That is when IUI #2 has been scheduled. Luckily, since it's early I can manage just taking off a half day from work. I'm sure my students won't mind. However, I'm sure they are wondering why I've been out several times in such a short period of time.

So, about the ultrasound this morning. Everything went really well. The doctor came in at the beginning to look at the uterus lining and he was impressed to say the least. He was like "wow, 3 lines, that's great. that's what we like to see." The nurse went on and ended up finding one good sized follicle that measured 19mm (they like to see between 18 and 20) and maybe one other that was less mature at an 11.

I talked with a friend tonight that has gone through 3 miscarriages, but is currently pregnant with her first child. She told me that she went through 6 rounds of Femara and then went on Clomid and did an IUI. She also told me she took B6 vitamins while trying to give implantation a better chance. Research seems to say this vitamin helps any kind of luteal phase defect that can hinder implantation. If the luteal phase is too short, the window for implantation is not as long and the chance of a fertilized egg implanting is less. So, hey, us IF ladies will try anything once right? So, I sent Jason up to the store tonight for some B6 and we'll give it a try.

We are hopeful this will work, but never overly anticipating that it WILL happen. We've been down this road for over a year now, so getting pregnant will be a pleasant surprise. Not getting pregnant will feel normal, but fine. When and if it happens will be on God's time clock and we will be grateful and thankful regardless of the outcome.

For those of you who haven't seen the HCG shot, here's a look at it. Forgive how rough I look. I took a shower and never fully got ready and left the house today after my appt!
Needle is long huh? But, it doesn't hurt, I promise! Now, could I give it to myself? Probably not...lol! Thanks MOM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment