New template


Monday, June 4, 2012

AUTHORITY

When I hear that word it immediately makes me somewhat uncomfortable. I think the human make-up is that such that we don't want anyone to boss us around or make us do something we don't decide on our own. But what about God's authority? I was challenged by the message a dear friend of ours preached Sunday at church on the Authority of God.


When I think about God's authority, I'm not uncomfortable and I'm not afraid. I WANT Him desperately to rule over my life, because I sure can't do it alone. I would mess up way to often. The scripture from Matthew about Jesus sending his disciples out to sea, a huge storm roles in, the disciples are scared, Jesus appears, and Peter (wondering if it's really Jesus or just a ghost) says (in my words) "Hey, if it's you, tell me to walk to you on the water." He does, but as soon as he is consumed with the storm around him, he sinks. Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" (Matthew 14:31 NIV) This was impossible for Peter to do by himself, but he knew that was really Jesus, he could!


So, our friend who brought the message Sunday asked several questions that hit home for me:

What seems impossible in your life right now? me-being able to have a child

What's impossible for man, becomes possible for God.

Who are you listening to in this hardship? The world? Or God? me-sometimes I feel like I get caught up in the world's view and being able to do things on our time is how it should work. The world says you should have a baby at such and such age, and oh, don't get too old because then you won't have the energy to play with your child and be a good mommy/daddy. But then I think of the amazing stories in the bible where God gave women much older than me children and it was at the perfect time. In my heart I know God's timing is perfect, but sometimes in my head I wonder "why not now Lord?" He probably just laughs and says, "Just wait my child."

Do you respect the authority of God's word? me-oh yeah!

(John 15:4-11) Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

Have I taken my eyes off Christ? Am I focused on the storm? Cry out to Jesus! He will save you!

me-I have learned many times in life that the blessings I have come from the Lord and that He will always love me and have my best interest in mind. I find when I take my eyes off Him and try to do things on my own, things always get more complicated. When I continue to worry about the storms of life, my life and my witness for the Lord falters. I cry out to Jesus on a daily basis. He wants me to do that. He loves to hear from His children. And He loves to carry our load.


He saves me from all the storms I face in this life. And he can save you from whatever storms you face in your life too!

No comments:

Post a Comment