New template


Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sweet Mary, the mother of our Lord and Savior

The Lord drew me to the book of Luke in the bible today. I have to admit, I have been extremely slack in my quiet times with the Word of God and talking to Jesus. However, today, I picked (the Lord picked) Luke to open and read. I started at the beginning and I couldn't believe it. I starts by talking about Zechariah and Elizabeth who were married and both in their old age when the Lord comes to Zechariah and tells him that Elizabeth WILL conceive a child, John (the Baptist), in her age and John will go on to do great things for the kingdom of the Lord.

There is much more to this but I was just amazed and encouraged by this story. Elizabeth was thought never to be able to conceive a child, but the Lord found favor with her and Zechariah, therefore giving them a child that would make them very proud and do amazing things for the Lord.

At the same time, Mary (Jesus' mom) was greeted by an angel telling her she would also conceive a child of the Holy Spirit and His name was to be Jesus. Mary and Elizabeth were relatives and when the angel told Mary that Elizabeth was also going to have a child, she immediately went to visit her. Mary says "Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her."

The Lord is faithful, and he does fulfill any promises made to us. I pray I can be as faithful to Him as Mary and Elizabeth and that He will find favor with me. The Lord performed many miracles we read about in the bible, and I think we sometimes forget this is the same Lord we serve today. I think we are a little unexpecting of what He can do. We think "that will never happen to me." But it can. Believe. Trust. Surrender your life to Him. Then watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment